Privacy statement North Sea Fossils
This is the privacy statement of Eurocape B.V., hereafter also ‘North Sea Fossils’. For our contact details see at the end of this statement under the heading ‘What if you have questions or complaints?’. In this privacy statement we will inform you about the use of your personal data (hereafter also ‘data’) by North Sea Fossils.
Short privacy statement
For selling articles from our website we need your personal data, which we will keep for a maximum of 7 years in our financial records.
We collect and use personal data for several purposes, including the following:
- For administering a sale.
- For collection of user statistics, IP addresses, browser information, length of visit.
- For our financial records.
The persons of which we use personal data have certain rights in relation to their data.
For what purpose do we use your data?
We use your data for the following purposes
- To enable you to make an account on our website and secure your account.
- To be able to send you electronic notifications of account registration and order activity.
- To be able to process payments, create invoices and update our financial records.
- To be able to process the order.
- To make and analyse visitor statistics.
On which grounds is the use of your details based?
We use your details on the following basis:
The data are necessary to enable the agreement we have with you, or of which you are party.
The data are necessary for us to comply with legal obligations.
The data are necessary for our legitimate interest, or those of others.
The legitimate interest is:
- Our commercial interest to gain more insight into our users and clients and their wishes.
Are your details passed on to parties outside the European Economic Area (EEA)?
No, we do not pass on your details to parties outside the European Economic Area, they are only stored on servers located inside the EEA.
How long do we store your details?
We store your data no longer than necessary for the purposes for which we collect them.
Generally the following storage periods are valid:
Sort of data
Client data (name, address, town, email address, telephone number)
Until 2 years after last transaction
Invoice details, transaction details and other financial details
7 years as required by legal fiscal storage period obligation
Account details (log-in name, password)
As long as the account is in use
Order history (other than kept under legal storage period obligation)
As long as you have an agreement or other relationship with ourselves and until 2 years afterwards
Until 6 months after last website visit
Website use information
Until 6 months after last website visit
Which rights do you have?
You are legally entitled to the following rights relating to your personal data:
- To ask for a copy of the data we hold for you.
- To receive information about how your data are processed.
- To have incorrect data corrected.
- To have incomplete details added to, in relation to the purpose for which the details are used.
- To have your data deleted.
- To have your data ‘limited’.
- To object to the use (the processing) of your data.
- To withdraw permission to use your data if you have previously given such permission; the withdrawal will apply to future use of your data.
- If you have submitted data yourself, or if they have been generated for you (for instance based on your use of our services), and you have given permission for such use or if your data are necessary to execute our arrangement, and if the details are processed electronically: to obtain your details in a structured and current format in electronically readable form, and, if technically possible, to allow for transfer to other parties.
- To file a complaint with the relevant privacy supervisor (this may by the supervisor in the country or your usual residence, where you conduct your business activities, or were (alleged) violation of your privacy rights has occurred), in The Netherlands the ‘Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens’.
To exercise your rights you can contact us through the contact details listed under the heading ‘What if you have questions or complaints? ’.
In certain instances it is possible that we are entitled to refuse your request. In that case we will inform you why your request has been denied. It is possible we will not be able to execute our arrangement with you if we no longer hold certain of your personal data, in which case we will also inform you.
Most of your data can be found in your personal online account. You can log in and adjust the data yourself. To see details not stored on your online account you can contact us directly (see: ‘What if you have questions or complaints?’).
What if you have questions or complaints?
If you have questions or complaints about the use of your data or about this privacy statement, please contact:
+31 6 12635537
Can this privacy statement be adjusted?
Yes. This privacy statement has been drawn up in June 2018. We reserve the right to adjust this privacy statement. When important changes are made we will notify you, for instance by email.
After discovery and purchase by North Sea Fossils, all fossils are gathered in our processing office. The initial selection and sorting out is then done by Albert Hoekman, our specialist. In the course of the years Albert has handled literally hundreds of thousands of Pleistocene mammal fossils, and has gained an invaluable hands-on knowledge. There is probably no other person in the world who has identified as many Pleistocene fossis as Albert, and we are proud that he is a part of our team.
When the fossils are found in the North Sea they are saturated with salt water. In order to preserve them they are first desalinated, to stop them from disintegrating. The fossils are immersed for six weeks in constantly refreshed, fresh water. They are then slowly dried, and stabilized with a museum standard conservation layer, which not only preserves the fossils, but also brings out their natural stunning coloring. This process takes around two to three months to complete.
Small restorations are done by our own team during this process. In some cases however damaged fossils may require larger interventions, which are done by Remie Bakker, of Manimal Works. Remie is not only a magician for fossil repairs, but also loves what he does. He strikes the perfect balance between vital repairs and maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the fossil. Together with Remie we also supply museums with scientific displays and reconstructions of Ice Age mammels.
In order to display our fossils to the best effect, for larger and more important pieces we then commission hand-made stands. Material, colour and finish are decided with the fossil in mind, so that the stand does not distract from the piece but instead brings it out to best effect.
When fossils are acquired by our customers, they are carefully wrapped and packed by our team. Larger and fragile pieces are boxed in custom made wooden crates. Shipping is usually done by TNT or Fedex. This treatment ensures that all fossils reach their eventual homes in perfect condition!
An Installation by Danh Vo
In 2015 the world renowned modern conceptual artist Danh Vo visited our warehouse in Urk with his team of collaborators and selected hundreds of kilograms of fossil material, including bones of Woolly Mammoths and whales. Vo, born in Vietnam in 1975, is interested in objects and other material, sometimes many thousands of years old, which he encounters through extensive travel and his unique network of connections. Vo arranges these objects in very original ways, which opens up new possibilities of seeing and interpretation. In this case he suspended our fossils from the ceiling of the Crystal Palace in the Parque del Retiro in Madrid, which was a spectacular sight and highly popular. The photos speak for themselves.
Our fossils give an extra dimension to exclusive interiors. The gorgeously rich colors of fossilized North Sea mammoth ivory, or the intricate shapes of for instance a Wisent cranium, combine amazingly well with both modern and traditional architecture and interiors.
These one-of-a-kind pieces are eye-catching conversation pieces and represent an interesting investments which can be handed down for generations. The presence of such ancient objects, will lend a graceful sophistication to any space, whether in private residences or corporate surroundings.
Our finest pieces are presented on custom-made stands, which bring them out to their utmost advantage. The stands are elegantly designed in such a way that it directs all the focus to the fossil itself.
Museum Quality Objects
Museum Quality Objects
One of our most exciting and challenging activities is the assembly of complete skeletons of Pleistocene mammals. To this end we work with a team of experts who amongst them combine the latest scientific knowledge, state-of-the-art restoration and conservation skills, and a sensitive eye for design. This enables us to restore and assemble complete fossil skeletons, which are scientifically as well as aesthetically among the best in the world and which are primarily destined for sale to museum and other institutions.
At the moment we are able to offer:
- A skeleton of a male mammoth
- A skeleton of a female mammoth
- A skeleton of a young mammoth
- A skeleton of an Irish Elk (excavated and historically assembled c. 1890-1900)
- A skeleton of a Pleistocene horse
- A skeleton of a male cave bear
- A skeleton of a female cave bear
- A skeleton of a wisent
- A skeleton of a sea cow
We can also supply extremely lifelike reconstructions of these animals or smaller scaled models. It goes without saying that North Sea Fossils often and happily cooperates on exhibitions. Education is another main focus of North Sea Fossils!